Reasons to modernise legacy applications
Professional IT services with a personal approach
Modernising a legacy system can be a challenging process. Many organisations are hesitant about it as they are afraid of the high costs and complexity. Waiting is rarely the right approach: delaying such an important step can cause even more issues in the future.
Each stakeholder may have different business drivers for legacy modernisation, including:
- System integration and consolidation after a merger or acquisition,
- Expansion of services, either in scope, scale or geography,
- A business-critical system built in a technology nearing its end-of-life,
- Customer/user experience that requires improvements.
Regardless of those drivers, modernising a legacy system often presents similar challenges and risks:
- Management of schedule and costs, and balancing them against the benefits,
- Development, testing and deployment of temporary interfaces during the migration process,
- Ensuring the to-be functionality matches the as-is functionality,
- Data integrity, including any consolidation, cleansing, transformation, and migration activities,
- Service continuity throughout the modernisation process,
- Quality checkpoints and rollback plans.
As Objectivity, we can help you manage these risks. Our experts can either take full responsibility for the modernisation of your system, work with your other suppliers as part of a joint team or augment your in-house IT team. As such, our legacy modernisation services will be tailored to your specific business needs, enabling you to reach your goals more effectively.
What clients say about us
Ascentric has embarked upon a complex and wholesale transformation initiative to modernise their core back office and front office systems. We needed additional specialist skills to enhance our in-house resources and we chose Objectivity. They worked alongside our internal team and quickly established confidence and strong working relationships. This positively reinforced our expectations of nearshore outsourcing. I have been most impressed with the very high technical quality and the “Can Do” attitude of the Objectivity team. They also contributed to the development of a successful technical architecture.
In two years cooperation with the team, they haven’t just delivered fast solutions for multiple products they have helped to tackle business challenges. With innovative server side A/B testing framework, which has been developed from scratch, we were able to run multiply A/B test for multiple customers groups at the same time. This saved us a lot of costs through efficient traffic usage and generated at the end additional 8% of revenue in mature, well established product, where this kind of revenue growth rates were not expected. Additional to that the system has been written in a way where every other segment of the company was able to reuse it with minimum development effort!
Demonstrating excellent technical and agile skills, and as part of our technology refresh and risk reduction programme, Objectivity have gained my complete trust and respect with their collaborative style and integrity.
Legacy modernisation framework
The process of improving legacy software
01. Discovery & Assessment
- Understand the goal, expectations and limitations (such as time, budget and technology),
- Assess the system’s quality, especially regarding documentation and automated testing,
- Identify the used and unused functionalities,
- Identify the modernisation options, their risks and costs. The options include: no action, rehost, refactor, rearchitect, rebuild or replace,
- Estimation and creating the plan,
- Business case co-creation and ROI analysis (optional).
- Domain knowledge transfer,
- Automation of CI/CD,
- Completing the system documentation,
- Improving automated tests coverage.
- Implementation of the selected plan, either iteratively or in the ‘big bang’ method,
- Testing and monitoring of modernisation process, handling unexpected issues.
04. Release of the new system
- Delivering the application to production with no impact on your business,
- Data migration,
- Verifying that the new system works as expected and communicates with external systems.
05. Support takeover
- Hypercare phase,
- Disabling old systems (optional),
- Hotfixes (optional),
As part of a business-wide transformation, we helped our Client to gain an improved business intelligence tool that supports their whole supply chain. We leveraged rapid development to quickly test and deliver our solution.
Schedule a free consultation with our expert
Get in touch with our senior expert and take the opportunity to discuss the challenges you face in your projects. Our expert will address any questions you may have, and help you plan the next steps of your legacy modernisation process.