About the Client
Our Client is one of the leading financial services companies in Poland. They provide a comprehensive set of financial solutions to their customers. They serve several hundred thousand of customers and have won multiple awards over the 30+ years of operations.
- A testing strategy which helped the Client carry out a seamless transformation
- Identification of the exact skill sets and the number of specialists needed to execute the strategy
- Increased testing efficiency thanks to the automation
The Client realised that their current IT ecosystem would soon be no longer able to support their continuous business growth. They decided to replace it with a new set of solutions, including incorporating new vendors into their setup. Due to the complex nature of the Client’s business, the new stack consisted of over 20 technologies and out-of-the-box solutions.
To maintain business continuity during this transformation, the Client needed a reliable testing strategy that would identify and solve all issues emerging throughout the implementation process. They needed to know how many and what kind of quality assurance specialists they would need, and how to create a framework for successful cooperation with their vendors. The extensive list of used technologies made this need even more strategically important.
To analyse the Client’s situation and deliver a fit-for-purpose testing strategy, Objectivity provided two experienced Test Managers. Cooperating closely with the company, they identified the as-is state of the solutions and the steps required to implement a suitable testing strategy.
There were several factors to consider. The Client planned to leverage both the in-house testing team and third-party and partners. It was crucial for the testing strategy to standardise deliverables from external teams. This allowed the company to work with multiple providers at the same time and make sure that they’ll all understand their responsibilities. The external teams were in charge of delivering:
- Test cases
- Automated test scripts
- Test reporting with test scenario priorities
- Evidence of performed activities
- Summary test reports
- Release notes
Since a seamless data migration to the new solutions was crucial to successfully execute the digital transformation, data migration tests were business-critical and had to be treated with special care.
To ensure that best practices are used in the strategy, the team implemented the testing pyramid approach for various scenarios. In order to maximise testing efficiency, the pyramid assumes that more than 65% of the effort will be spent on unit tests, 10-30% of the effort on integration tests, and less than 5% of the effort on UI tests.
The team decided to implement test automation to:
- Reduce the number of tests which need to be run manually,
- Increase the speed of receiving information regarding software quality,
- Provide fast feedback when implementation introduces a bug,
- Ensure a constant level of quality.
The methods were also adapted to the Client’s existing toolset for managing projects and digital environments.
After a thorough analysing and planning phase, the team created a set of documents which outlined an appropriate testing strategy for the transformation. It included:
A reusable approach for all test phases and each application,
- Guidelines for designing new tests for each test phase and application,
- Link requirements and the approach to handling during testing,
- A team organisation and sizing proposal for delivery of the transformation testing,
- Guidelines for operational management based on a RACI matrix, templates and workflows,
- Recommended toolsets with standardised practices, processes and deliverables,
- Predefined supplier input requirements,
- Artefacts for key elements of testing,
- A set of recommendations for the types of environments necessary for the different test phases.
The strategy was well-received by the key stakeholders in the Client organisation. They were impressed with its comprehensiveness and perfect-fit to their business circumstances. As a result, it was accepted and later implemented, helping the Client manage a number of third-party vendors and technology partners. This contributed to executing the digital transformation seamlessly and efficiently.
You may also be interested in
The Client needed a comprehensive overhaul of their customer-facing web portal. Objectivity designed and developed a mobile-first cloud solution.
The Objectivity team was able to modernise Edrington’s Bulk Stock Management system while ensuring that it remains live throughout the entire testing process.